Sunday, May 29, 2016

San Francisco Trip

I was able to take Josh and Emma on a quick trip down to San Francisco last week and it was awesome! I loved being able to show Josh a lot of places I talk about all the time. It reminded him of when he lived in Sydney for his mission. The cities are pretty similar and it was fun showing him downtown ( he lived in downtown Sydney for over a year). It was really great but we're actually glad to be back and getting into a routine.  Josh starts work in less than a week and I'm excited for him, but sad we won't get to hang out all the time anymore:( But we just had lunch with some of his future coworkers and they all really love their job. Always good to hear! We're basically all moved in and settled finally so that feels good.

June will be kind of crazy since Josh will be training for his job in Chicago for 3 weeks so we won't see each other very much. I'll be in Boise for most of it visiting family, but we'll be missing some of our big holiday's together ( my birthday, our anniversary, most of father's day ). But what can you do! I guess our month of vacation kind of made up for that.

So back to San Francisco. We were only in the city for 2 days I think but we did a lot! We couldn't really see many people I knew but I guess that's for another time. We drove all day Monday and Tuesday morning and reached Oakland just in time for lunch. We first went to Berkeley University's campus for a quick tour. That's where my parents went to college and met so I wanted to show Josh. The buildings are so unique. Josh loved looking at the library ( it was all marble inside ).



Then we went to lunch at Fenton's. It was Soooo yummy and we went all out. We skipped dinner that night because we were still full.



Yes, it is as big as in the picture...and we ate it all. No shame!

Then we visited the Oakland temple and the visitor center. Josh said it was probably the prettiest temple he'd ever seen. The weather was warm and beautiful and the flowers were blooming and all the fountains were turned on. It was cool/weird to go to the visitor center and be a visitor, not a missionary. The sisters looked so young but it was fun to have them show us all the new features ( touchscreens, videos, etc.). We spent alot of time there since we were trying to avoid rushhour traffic. Then we went to San Mateo, one area I worked in saw a few people I knew so that was fun. I wished we had more time to see more people.



View from the top of the temple. Gorgeous!


Part of the new section of the Visitor Center


The next day was San Francisco day and we did all the touristy stuff. Alcatraz, the wharf, china town, riding the BART. An exhausting but exciting day!








Emma's face most of the time on the BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) 





After playing a boxing arcade game that was like 100 years old. Yes, I lost... 


Boudin bread bowl with clam chowder. So yummy!


Emma had a blast at Alcatraz;)


We rode over on a ferry! The views were gorgeous!






My 2nd time at Alcatraz and still creepy. This was an isolation room and pitch black when the door closed. Freaked me out thinking about it. 

Our last morning we attempted to walk part of the Golden Gate Bridge. Emma went crazy (I think she was teething or something ) but everyone was staring at us and either shaking their head or smiling in pity. She had really lost it so I can't imagine doing that with a ton of kids. But we snapped some pictures and were on our way.



A little pouting by the wall




Yep, that last picture pretty much sums it up

We drove for a while and stopped in Eureka, CA so we could go to the Redwoods the next morning. Josh said that was his favorite part and it was pretty amazing!









This is one of the biggest trees I've ever seen. Think Avatar big tree. 297 ft tall and 19 feet in diameter. And 2000 years old. Wowsers!


We rode on the "skytrail", a gondola up through the redwoods. Emma was captivated:) Also excuse Emma's semi-gross hair. She's totally freaked out by baths right now ( who knows why ), so they happen less often than I would like. 




The huge Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue Ox

It was a fabulous trip and I'm so glad we had the time to go and enjoy it. It's been a fun adventure this last month traveling. But now on to our next big adventure...the new job:) Wish Josh luck!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome trip and collection of pics documenting it. Makes me want to go just for Fenton's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so yummy! We had the monthly special, everything Oreo:)

      Delete